When looking into setting my prices, I found that there are a lot more competitors in and around my area than I had previously thought. Most of them specialize in just wedding photography, so their prices are set somewhere between £1000 and £2000. As I lack as much experience in this field as they do, I will need to look into pricing myself at a cheaper rate; however I don’t want to undervalue myself and I want people to feel confident in my work by showing that I am also confident in my work.
Most wedding photographers offer packages, these can range from a ‘standard’ package to ‘premium’ or ‘deluxe’ packages. Different photographers offer different time frames for shooting, the ones I have looked at have included anywhere between 6 and 10 hours from bridal prep to the cutting of the cake or the first dance. The photographers that offer a shorter amount of hours also seem to offer an additional service of ‘photographer by the hour’. I will be looking into offering just packages with the option of customization for the bride and groom to create.
Almost all packages include the same things:
- Prints of various sizes (depending on the type of package purchased)
- Proof albums to be able to choose the photographs they wish to print
- Wedding album
- CD of edited images
- Thank you cards (depending on the type of package purchased)
- Canvas prints(depending on the type of package purchased)
The packages I could offer are:
- Package one – 8 hours of shooting (from bride/groom prep to speeches, if they didn’t want the prep they could switch this to the first dance instead), 200 images as a proof album, 1 x wall enlargement, 2 x 10”x12” prints, 1 x 30 page wedding album and 25 personalised Thank You cards
- Package two – 8 hours shooting (same as above), 250 images as proof album, 1 x wall enlargement, 4 x 10”x12” prints, 2 x 10”x8” prints, 1 x 30 page wedding album and 35 personalised Thank You cards and an online gallery, password protected
- Package three – 8 hours shooting (same as above), 300 images as proof album, 1 x wall enlargement, 6 x 10”x12” prints, 4 x 10”x8” prints, 1 x 30 page wedding album and 50 personalised Thank You cards, an online gallery, password protected and 1 x wall canvas/framed enlargement
At additional extra cost I can also provide:
- Pre-ceremony photography (engagement shoot)
- Additional prints/albums
I will always provide a ‘meet and greet’ with the client free of charge.
Most portrait photographers have a permanent studio space to offer portraits, family, new-borns and headshot photographs to their clients. As I’m starting out I do not have this luxury, I am fortunate enough to own a portable studio kit which will allow me to offer my clients a studio shoot in the comfort of their own home. This will work well for children and new-born shoots as they tend to feel more comfortable in their own environment. I can also offer:
- Location shoots (of mine or the families choice)
- Headshots for actors/actresses/models
- Band/DJ promotional photographs
Some of the photographers offering the same choices as above charge between £50 to £100 per hour and these include a limited number of images on disk or as prints. They then go on to offer things at an additional cost including:
I’d like to make the client’s experience with me simple and uncluttered by offering packages for portraits, similar to those of weddings but based on what they would most likely purchase depending on which type of shoot they have chosen:
- A family/location/portrait shoot could include – An hourly shooting rate, a wall print, 4 x smaller prints (to be given to family members) with an additional option of an album
- Portfolio shoot could include – An hourly rate, 6 10”x12” prints (to be given with CV to potential clients) with an additional option of a complete portfolio
- Band/DJ promotions could include – Album work and/or design, portfolio images for posters or any other advertising purposes
Events and Documentary:
These are generally priced upon request, which will be the easiest way as no two jobs are the same, so I will also offer my services in this way.
Mostly I will rely on word of mouth for my advertising, it’s faster and this way people will give a verbal review to their friends/families while showing off the images I have produced for them. I will be using business cards, which I will include upon delivery of delicately packaged products to my clients.
I will also be using social media sites including; Facecbook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, entering various competitions to get my work out there and also visiting wedding fayres.